International Cartoonist Forum
Welcome to Cartoonists United, Global network for cartoonists.
Most topics on the forum are Member Only and only visible when members are logged-in. Membership is FREE, join us to learn, improve and share your funny cartoons.

Leah
NEW! Login via Facebook
Cat Cartoons

Cat Cartoons

cat cartoons

DESIGN YOUR OWN
Create Custom T-Shirts
Funny Gifts

Funny Gifts

Frozen
Disney's Frozen
Like/Tweet/+1
Gallery

What’s NEW Here
Subscribe to forum feed here

Vector Art Software

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vector Art Software

Post by lsnowmanl on Wed 2 Nov - 17:09

What do you guys use in creating your vector art and why use that software?

lsnowmanl
Maggot
Maggot

Back to top Go down

Re: Vector Art Software

Post by LeahG on Wed 2 Nov - 20:18

Inkscape..it's equivalent to Illustrator and yet free.
LeahG
Administrator
Administrator

http://Www.leahg.me

Back to top Go down

Post by lsnowmanl on Wed 2 Nov - 23:22

Thanks Leah! however, another question. If we disregard the price. which one is better and would you use?

lsnowmanl
Maggot
Maggot

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahG on Thu 3 Nov - 0:52

I checked the reviews and comparisons regarding both and their doesn't appear to be any significant difference so based on that I'd never buy Illustrator because there's simply no point.

The only thing I will say is that some clients recognise Illustrator as industry standard vector and drawing software and may shrink back when you mention you use Inkscape instead on the basis they may never have heard of it...but that's the only drawback I can think of.
LeahG
Administrator
Administrator

http://Www.leahg.me

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy on Thu 3 Nov - 1:07

Yes, I've had people not recognize the format that Inkscape uses (svg) as being vector because they've always used Illustrator. But Illustrator can open svg files - standard vector graphics, I believe, is what it stands for.

Here's my humble opinion. I have used Inkscape at work, and I currently use Illustrator CS2 at work and CS4 at home. They both have their plus points - especially price - but if the cost isn't an issue, I'd choose Illustrator. There are things it can do that are difficult in Inkscape, or can't be done. Plus, clients are used to Illustrator files, and they can be placed into Photoshop for further work. I don't believe Inkscape files can be.

I think it really depends on what you plan to use it for. Basic lines and fills - Inkscape is just fine. Working with meshes, blend modes, transparencies, etc., I think Illustrator beats Inkscape.

Do you know how you'll be needing to use vector?
Kathy
TOP TEN
TOP TEN

http://www.kathysdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lsnowmanl on Sun 6 Nov - 8:44

Thanks! If i understood your question correctly, i am using vector art for shirt designing. Thanks guys! And nice community!

lsnowmanl
Maggot
Maggot

Back to top Go down

Post by Petoons on Sun 6 Nov - 17:05

Kathy wrote:Here's my humble opinion. I have used Inkscape at work, and I currently use Illustrator CS2 at work and CS4 at home. They both have their plus points - especially price - but if the cost isn't an issue, I'd choose Illustrator. There are things it can do that are difficult in Inkscape, or can't be done. Plus, clients are used to Illustrator files, and they can be placed into Photoshop for further work. I don't believe Inkscape files can be.

I think it really depends on what you plan to use it for. Basic lines and fills - Inkscape is just fine. Working with meshes, blend modes, transparencies, etc., I think Illustrator beats Inkscape.
I have used vector formats from many sources in my sign business and hands down the best, meaning the least trouble, has been ai files. It didn't matter how they were created but seem to have less variables than eps. I have Inkscape on my PC but don't use it so I don't remember but if it exports ai, you're in business.

It's hard to go wrong with Corel for the PC though, many export and import filters.

Worm
Worm

http://jascalservices.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clarachan on Sat 24 Dec - 4:04

hi, Very Happy can you tell me, does Corel cost a ton of money? And also, does it take a lot of memory? I really hate Adobe illustrator; not only does it take up a lot of memory, it also does not do a lot of things that I need to do. I think it's a very clumsy and bad program. I used to have one, and I never used it, because it was too impractical and like I said, took too much RAM. Years ago, I had a Macintosh because the graphics were better, but now I don't think it makes any difference. Besides, Macintoshes are so expensive, expensive to repair or maintain, or get the parts for, and I think Macintosh users are a bunch of snobs. At least, they used to be. So I went over to PCs, and I've never regretted it, even for artwork.

Could you tell me please what Corel does exactly, and if it is a very mechanical and technical program, on the art side?I would much more like to get into very technical, mechanical, and even use architectural planning, or architectural illustrating tools. I am really tired of straight artwork. I'd like to try the more technical and mechanical, and even some of the architectural tools. They sound very challenging. Thank you! flower

clarachan
Maggot
Maggot

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon Lake on Sat 24 Dec - 9:36

Coreldraw works much in the same way as Illustrator but at the end of the Day you will find that Illustrator is the Industry norm and what Clients will stipulate that they want their files in. Haydnlock knows about Coreldraw. I worked on it in a Graphic Design Studio for a couple of years and am very comfortable with it.

What I like about it is that it has it's own built- in equivalent to Photoshop where you scan and do colour etc but it also has the capability of vector graphics so it's really like an all-in one kinda thing. It doesn't work entirely different from Illustrator though and it's really about your own skill at using the pen tool and anchor points and all the rest of it. It's an Art. It doesn't really matter what platform you are using. You've either got it or you haven't.

I recommend Coreldraw to anyone. It's very user- friendly and possibly easier than Illustrator. At the end of the Day, any files produced in Coreldraw can just be imported into Illustrator if need be. It's really just about producing vector graphics as that is the way forward. If you have the software then I say go for it. If it does affect the performance of your machine then consider buying more RAM. I just bought a new RAM card the other day for £20 and the difference is unbelievable.

Here is a trial version of Coreldraw....

http://download.cnet.com/CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite/3000-2191_4-10265849.html
Simon Lake
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.simonlakecartoons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: