International Cartoonist Forum
Welcome to Cartoonists United, Global network for cartoonists.
Most topics on the forum are Member Only and only visible when members are logged-in. Membership is FREE, join us to learn, improve and share your funny cartoons.

Leah
NEW! Login via Facebook
Cat Cartoons

Cat Cartoons

cat cartoons

DESIGN YOUR OWN
Create Custom T-Shirts
Funny Gifts

Funny Gifts

Frozen
Disney's Frozen
Like/Tweet/+1
Gallery

What’s NEW Here
Subscribe to forum feed here

need ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

need ideas

Post by 10.pappy on Thu 3 Mar - 11:32

hi every one see i live by the sea but i want to put a cartoon strip our local paper comes every fortnight i would like an ocean strip but i am all out of ideas can any one be able to help me i have'nt done this stuff since 1996 as i went out for work on sheep and cattle station now i have diabetes now so i wood like to go back cartooning thank you

10.pappy
Maggot
Maggot

Back to top Go down

Comic strip idea for 10.pappy

Post by omer_oly_olson on Wed 16 Mar - 20:13

Hello 10.pappy,

I screwed up and lost the first response I wrote when I was trying to preview it and it vanished. I really dislike doing the same thing twice so you will understand why I don't do comics and am willing to give you an idea I just thought up!

I think a good story line for a strip would be covering the day to day foibles of a crew on an old fishing boat. It could be based in a small fishing village harbor along the coast of anywhere. I am familiar with Depot Bay, Oregon in the U.S. and that would be the setting for my story. The subjects could be a 3 or 4 person crew with a captain of the vessel with a pet (dog, cat, parrot, crow). The village characters could interface with the crew at a coffee shop, the market, or whatever business' that suit your fancy. Also the pet(s) could have discourse with nuisance seagulls, crows, or seals, whatever.

I like to do 11" x 14" cartoons I sketch, then ink and water color, so this idea I can use for a cartoon myself. I try and draw the scene as humorous as I can and not use captions, but have lots of detail you notice after looking at the cartoon several times. I hope the members of the forum give you lots of ideas to work from. Good luck on your endeavor! Sorry to hear you have diabetes.

Regards,
omer_oly_olson
omer_oly_olson
Worm
Worm

Back to top Go down

Re: need ideas

Post by Simon Lake on Thu 17 Mar - 0:42

Good ideas omer! Have you seen this thread 10.pappy?

http://www.cartoonist-forum.com/t135-how-to-find-inspiration-for-gag-cartoons-and-comic-strips-by-simon-lake?highlight=how+to+find+inspiration

If the ocean is something you have an affinity with you are halfway there. Draw from life I say and stay passionate about your subject. Target your audience as well. Fishing websites or what?
Simon Lake
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.simonlakecartoons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andries on Tue 22 Mar - 21:24

So, you allready know your setting! Good start!
This is how I would start:
1) Make up a global subject. (you allready have some, sea, fishers, boats etc)
2) Genre and layout: (Gags I think? 3 panels)
3) Make up the characters. This is one of the most important parts. If you find some characters that are interesting themselfes, your cartoon or comic will be too. (probably) (The garfield comic would be just as fun if it was about a lazy, ever hungry, boss-teasing dog)
I'll list some as example

main characters: crew of the 'happy seal'-fishersboat
- Bob, an old man that has been on sea his whole life. (short, napoleon complex. (this gives room for a variety of jokes)) Captain of the happy seal
- Charles, about 30 years, lazy, does as little work as possible, spends his money to all sorts of food and fun as soon as he has a few days off. The fisherman of the team.
- Harry, a boy of about 12 years, smart (especially compared to Charles) Doing the more 'light' jobs on board. (painting the walls, cleaning the floors) (usually solves the problems)
- Hank, The coock. A little fat, tall, 30 years? Loves to make the most beutifull plates, but usually has to coock 'simple' things. (hotchpotch, soup.)
- Birdie, a seagull, the pet of Bob. (sits on bobs shoulder as if he was a pirate's parrot.)

secondary characters.
baddies

- Pirates
- smugglers
- Mr. money. He owns half of the port, askes large sums of money for even the smallest stockhouses. He lended captain bob the money to buy the happy seal. TROUBLE!!! (and so, lots of occasions to make fun of money, depts, loans etc. Or perhaps the joke is just that at the end of every episode captain bob sails the happy seal to the horizon, while mr. money is angry eating his hat because AGAIN he didn't get his money.)
other
Captain and crew of a (oil?) tanker. (perhaps they meet because of a collision of their boats? imagine the 'big/small' contrast :p )
Divers, looking for a treasure or coral reefs or whatever.
Passengers on the happy seal. (perhaps bob HAS to rent some space to someone to earn enough money to pay mr. money? This 'someone' could be who-ever you want! Would it be funny if he was a clown or a secret agent?)

-4 tipical jokes/gags.
What kind of gags do you want? Some gags could return for ever. (Garfield kicks Odie, donald duck gets chased by ungle scrooge, Snoopy thinks about the big questions in life.) One example was writen down earlier in this message: Mr money doesn't get his money and bob gets away. (just in time)
Other tipical jokes could be:
Harry saves the day but charles thinks HE did.
Octopus spoils ink all over someone. (AFTER that someone said: Of course it won't spoil ink over me.)
Birdie steals the food of someone's plate.
The happy seal gets stuck on top of a whale.
When its raining really hard, fish 'swim' through the air.
Charles gets pulled in the water when he catches a too big fish.
Bob threatens to fire charles for his lazyness, but charles always gets away with it thanks to hank or harry.
Hank expresses his culinary gifts by making the most amazing superplate with only a few fish, half an octopus and 2 fish eyes.

-5 Draw your main characters from different sides and a few backgrounds. (the sea, the boat, a dock.) After all, you'll have to draw these characters 1000th of times if you cartoon becomes a big succes. So you better know how they look from all sizes, AND be happy with how they look. ( Garfield looks verry different today then in the begining days, while his master john has barely changed. Apparently, Jim Davis found a way of drawing garfield that he liked more. ) Also, you do not want your characters to look slightly different in every new panel.

-6 Make up a few 'storylines' from wich you can work. Its much more fun to make cartoons of one week fit together in a ministory.
For example:
main story: captain bob found a treasure, they go look for the treasure, the treasure appears to be some fake think.
Monday
Bob: Charles! Harry! I found a treasure map on the market! lets hire some diving stuff and find it.
Harry: Are you shure its real?
Bob: Of course its real, look: it has a piratetoys logo on it.
Tuesday
Bob (holding such an old navigation instrument, watching over the sea): 90 degrees west, 12 degrees north, we're here!
Charles (against harry, wispering): Really, its fantastic how he knows exacly were we are. He is really good with those old instruments
Panel 3: we see bob(grinning) going inside, near the door is a gps with 'go degrees west, 12 degrees north' on it.
wednesday
Charles wears a divingsuit, hangs in the water. Bob: Well charles, its only 100 m deep. what are you waiting for?
Charles: I'm afraid of sharks sir! Bob: don't worry, there are no sharks in this area.
'splash!' (water splashing up, apparently charles has jumped into the water) Bob thinking: 'only killer whales...'
thursday
Charles, swimming under water. thinking: Of course, there are no sharks here
.... What was i so afraid of (charles stands in front of the treasure chest)
last panel: A giant eye is watching charles from behind through a hole in the sunken ships wall. (charles eyes pointing to the right, trying to see what is behind him without turning his head)
Friday
Treasure chest is a board. Bob: well charles, you did it! lets see what is in it!
The chest is being opened verry slowly.
The chest is empty. there is a small piece of paper inside with the text. 'thank you for joining our treasureseeking game. kind regards, piratetoys'

Hope you found some inspiration! (Even if you should want to copy all the above for you cartoon, go ahead. I won't have you prosecuted for plagiarism. Wink )
Andries
TOP TEN
TOP TEN

http://www.andriescartoons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon Lake on Wed 23 Mar - 9:43

I thought there could be an oyster in there called Pearl?
Simon Lake
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Andries on Wed 23 Mar - 16:37

Of course, why not?
Or a goldfish called sushi. Twisted Evil
Andries
TOP TEN
TOP TEN

Back to top Go down

Post by Andries on Sat 4 Feb - 22:06

Just stumbled across this old one. Maybe an idea for a new comic jam, somewhere in the far future?
Andries
TOP TEN
TOP TEN

Back to top Go down

Post by Simon Lake on Mon 6 Feb - 20:56

Yes but we need to generate more interest from other Members in our Jams. I know life is fast and time is money and all the rest but remember there is no pressure with these Jams. They are an ongoing feature of the Forum that will never die.
Simon Lake
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum